What is floatation therapy?
Floating is the experience of deep relaxation, achieved by allowing your body the freedom to float weightlessly in a warm espom salt solution. The water is heated to match the temperature of your skin and due to the density of the water, upon lying down, your body is able to float effortlessly, freed from gravity and tension and allowing your entire body to relax like never before.
What are the benefits of floating?
Floatation therapy has been around for decades, and over that time many studies have been undertaken to highlight and understand the benefits.
Studies have shown evidence that floating reduces; stress symptoms by calming the sympathethtic nervous system (reduces your ‘fight or flight’ response), anxiety, depression symptoms and pain. Floating also improves mood, mindfulness and productivity, as well as helping improve sleep and energy levels.
Who can float?
Most people are completely fine to float, however you need to be over 18 years of age, or over 16 with parental/guardian consent. Pregnant ladies are welcome to float in their 2nd and 3rd trimesters, but must obtain a medical clearance. A medical clearance from a doctor is also required for people suffering diabetes, heart conditions, seizures/blackouts.
If you are unsure if you are ok to float, or have any questions just give us a call and we will happily discuss any concerns.
When is it not ok to float?
People suffering from the following conditions are advised not to float for their own safety or for the safety of other clients.
- extreme low blood pressure
- contagious disease or infectious skin conditions
- infected/large open wounds (includes fresh tattoos and piercings)
- diarrhoea or gastroenteritis (whilst symptoms persist and for 2 weeks after)
- during menstruation
- chemotherapy in the last 7days
- incontinence or involuntary release of bodily fluids
- hair colour or spray tan in the last 7days
Before you float
- Don’t shave or wax before your float – Avoid shaving 12 hours prior.
- Avoid floating on a full stomach – Have a light meal 2 hours prior to floating.
- Remove your contact lenses before floating – as this will increase your eye comfort during your float
- Don’t drink caffeine 4-5 hours before floating – as caffeine is a stimulant and this counteracts the process of rest and relaxation
- Try not smoking just before you float as it will stimulate you too much in the tank.
What if I am claustrophobic?
The facility has been designed with this in mind. You are able to float with the lid up or down depending on how you feel. The room is completely dark and soundproofed so it acts as a float room as well as a float tank.
What do I need to bring?
We provide towels, face washers, high quality waterproof earplugs, hairdryer, cotton buds, moisturiser, shampoo, conditioner, body wash.
Feel free to bring anything else you may need.
How is the tank cleaned?
Our sterilisation system is a complex combination of state of the art Photocatalyst Nano Crystal Technologies, Photocatalytic Oxidisation, 1 micron particle filtration and Hydrogen Peroxide dosing techniques to deliver world leading water quality that exceeds Australian Standards.
This system instantaneously destroys viruses, bacteria and pathogens, by using light as fuel to energise its sophisticated catalyst array, with rare elements including Anatase, Molybdenum and Platinum ceramic catalyst, the resulting reaction that takes place inside the chambers has not only the power to consume any oils or organics that maybe present in the water, it also possesses the power to abundantly and momentarily split the water molecules into what are called Hydroxyl Radicals.
Hydroxyl Radicals are essentially a water molecule with a Hydrogen atom removed, and a highly reactive, unpaired electron, caused by the Photocatalytic Oxidisation reaction, disturbing the electrons and forming holes in the valance band of the atom. The exceptionally mobile molecules that fill the reaction chamber are highly volatile and able to destroy everything in their path. Once the Hydroxyl Radical has reacted with the pollutant it converts back into water: It’s true that Hydroxyl Radicals can be made in many ways, however instead of using more chemicals that are damaging to health, our system utilises photocatalytic oxidisation. This is the safest and most effective method against viruses, bacteria, pathogens and pollutants.
Why our Floatation Tank
Our Floatation Tank has been designed and built here in Townsville, its internal dimensions are 2.4m x 1.4m. It’s BIG!!!
Other benefits are:
- Located within Townsville Osteopathy; an Allied Health Care Provider
- It is in the Townsville CBD
- State of art Water Filtration, procedures and policies
- You can stretch out because of its size
- And you can float over your lunch break and still make it back to work